KYLE THORNHILL


Where are you based?
I'm based out of Green Valley, CA which is suburb of San Francisco


Where's your favourite place to ride?
Being from California I am extremely lucky to have some of the most amazing stretches of roads I think in the United States. My favorite place to ride is just north of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge in the Marin Headlands. One moment I am riding next to the Pacific Ocean and the next minute I'm in the middle of a Redwood Forest surround by the giant trees, wild life, and beautiful scenery. Climbing out of the Redwood Forest to the east peak of Mount Tamalpais there is 360 degrees of views that makes it worth all the climbing. I've ridden my bike all over the world and this ride is still at the top of the list. 


What type of riding do you like to do the most?
This question is difficult. I have had an obsession with bicycles since I was about 12 years old. I've ridden almost every kind of bike you can and I can't pick one style I enjoy more. I find myself riding more road than any other just based on the fact that it is the only bike I have at the moment. But that doesn't stop me from taking it off road or down a gravel path. The exploration doesn't end on the road it extends to every aspect of riding. If it has two wheels and I am surrounded by a good group of friends then that's the type of riding I enjoy the most. 


How do you discover a new route? Do you plan ahead with maps or just see where the road takes you?
The discovery begins with a idea of trying to find something new to explore. When I ride I always am looking at what is surrounding me. It becomes a hunt for new roads. If I spot a dirt road I want to know where it leads. Google Earth has become a very useful tool in helping find new roads and new places to explore. With technology where it is, it almost makes it too easy to find new roads. I have a map that I do carry of the major bicycle routes and trails in the San Francisco Bay Area but that becomes my emergency tool encase I find myself in a situation where service in not available. We do plan ahead for most rides. We have a good general idea of where we want to go. But some of the best rides are when we have a change in the plans or find a road that looks to good to pass up.


What equipment do you use to capture your ride?
I use an iPhone 5s for 99% of the photos I take the other 1% is a Canon 5d Mark II. 


What destination would be on your riding wish list?
Riding from San Francisco to Los Angeles as been on my bucket list of rides for a long time and I think this will be the year I knock it out. Getting over to Europe is high on the list as well. Along with making my way back to Japan and riding some of those amazing roads again.